Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Perfect Rice Cooker, Brown Rice!

Brown Rice
I decided to put up some simple recipes to get everyone started! 
I truth is cooking "well" is NOT that difficult once you get going. I was fortunate enough to grow up in a home where most everything was freshly made! My parents grew vegetables, bought whole butchered animals (sheep, cow, pig) and even hunted wild game (deer, elk, antelope, bear, and turkey). I feel even more fortunate that my grandma and mother were great cooks and taught me what they knew. It is really about trial&error, and following recipes! If you can read and make mistakes then you can cook and learn to cook well (Unless you burn the place down, that might set you back a bit, haha). On to the point of this post....

Prep: Wash your rice....
Until I frequently ate with my Samoan brothers....
 I had NO idea how important it was to wash your rice. 






Steps #1&#2


Step #3


Finished Product:


LET'S EAT

Ingredients:
1 Cup Organic Short Grain Brown Rice 
(I buy my rice in the Whole Food's bulk section)
1 1/2 Cups Water
Garlic Powder to Taste
Cracked Black Pepper to Taste
Salt to Taste
1 Tbsp Olive Oil

You can add other seasonings as well
Put them in at the start of the cook.
This helps to infuse the yummy flavors into the rice.

For a Mexican flavor try adding spices like:
ground cumin and chili powder

***Makes about 3 Cups of Cooked Rice***


Directions:

PREP
Rinse it, rub it, and drain it, until the water starts to become clear. 
Giving your rice a good wash removes rice dust and helps with the texture after it's cooked!

1. Place the clean rice into the rice cooker.
2. Add olive oil and sprinkle your seasonings over the top of the rice.
3. Add the water.
4. Turn cooker on.
5. When the rice is finished cooking give it a stir.
6. Place finished rice onto your plate... ENJOY as a side dish to your meal.


Do you need more rice?
1 cup uncooked rice + 1.5 cups of water = about 3 cups cooked
2 cup uncooked rice + 3 cups of water = about 6 cups cooked
3 cups uncooked rice + 4.5 cups of water = about 9 cups cooked

No comments:

Post a Comment